There are very good reasons to try shelled hemp seeds, if you haven’t already. Their deliciously nutty taste is subtle (some compare it to a cross between sunflower seeds and pine nuts), making them the ideal add-in to many different recipes. Each bite packs a powerful punch of protein, essential fatty acids, fiber, magnesium, and zinc. And unlike flaxseeds, hemp seeds can be used right out of the bag without grinding them. Here are 10 easy ways to serve them.
1. Toss a couple of teaspoons into a salad or better yet, blend them into a vinaigrette for a deliciously dairy-free creamy dressing.
2. Next time you have pesto (either homemade or store-bought), add a teaspoon or two of hemp seeds for added texture and richness.
3. Whenever you use nut butter, mix some hemp seeds in and stir.
4. Add some hemp seeds to your favorite smoothie recipe, give it a whizz and enjoy!
5. Like any nut milk, hemp seeds can be blended with water to make a dairy-free plant-based milk.
6. Upgrade your avocado toast by adding hemp seeds to the avocado.
7. Give cooked rice (or other grains) a nutritious boost by adding a teaspoon or two of hemp seeds.
8. Next time you want to prepare something breaded (like chicken or fish), try grilling it without the breading (normally made with flour and egg) and sprinkle hemp seeds on top of the cooked dish.
9. Add hemp seeds to your favorite breakfast bowl, whether it’s oatmeal, quinoa flakes, yogurt, or chia seed pudding. Also try adding them to granola or in granola, energy, or protein bars.
10. If you prefer to reap the benefits without seeing them, try adding hemp seeds to stronger flavored dishes like pasta sauces.